Sunday, September 1, 2013

Racist?

Hey all.
Soo the good news is that my computer is back up and working! Therefore, more posts will be coming! I still have yet to start on the newest PKU post, again I apologize! Life has had me pretty busy the past few days. Today was my day off, however I was kept busy with getting things done before the trip and seeing one of my best friends and my niece from up north.

My post today is about what happened to me on Thursday at work. It was probably my breaking point at the gas station.
Over two years ago, a neighborhood woman (let's just call her "M") had gotten banned from our store for stealing. This was before I started working there, so I have never met her. She plays a lot of lottery numbers everyday and seeing as how she wasn't allowed in our store anymore, she would have her boyfriend, daughter, daughter's boyfriend, friends, etc. come down to play her numbers.
Well, her boyfriend played them early last week and went to pay for them with his debit card. Well, the card got declined and he said he'd come back to pay for them after work. He never showed and we couldn't cancel the tickets because the drawing had already happened and clearly these numbers were losers or they definitely would have come back to get the tickets.
So my manager decided that we would NOT run any of their numbers until these ones had been paid for. $62 worth!

My manager was at a manager's meeting this day and M's daughter E came in with her boyfriend C. When they came up to pay, I asked if the numbers C wanted me to run was M's. He said yes, and that's when I told them that I was told not to run the numbers.

Wellllllllll. That didn't turn out so well. E got very defensive and started calling me and my coworker Libby racists and that we were discriminating. E and C are black and Libby and I are white.
That wasn't the point whatsoever in this ridiculous argument. I kept saying, no it's not and E kept saying that it was. This goes back and forth until she said, "Ohh you better shut up before I slap the shit out of you."
My manager told me right then and there that I should have called the cops for being threatened.

In the end, the cops were called after being continually harassed by that household and there is now a "No trespass" order put on E. If she came into the store, the cops would instantly be called and she could be arrested. It had gotten that out of hand.

It just irritates me when there are arguments between black people and white people, the word "racist" is just thrown out there. At least in my experience, this is what I have seen. Not all black or white people do this, I know. I just have seen too many situations and have too many experiences with it. I used to work around the "ghetto" type of people who like to argue with the words racist, racism, and discrimination.

I feel that not enough people are actually educated in the definitions of these words.
Racism/Racist: The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
                              (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/racism)

Discrimination: Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit, partiality, or prejudice.
                              (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Discrimination)


There was absolutely no racism or discrimination going on when I told them that I would not play the lottery numbers for M.
As I kept telling them...just pay the money owed and you can play the numbers again.
Really not that hard.
It really didn't have to go as far as it did.

Situations like this just made me decide not to go for management.
Situations like this just make me lose even more faith in the human race and today's society.
It was absolutely ridiculous.

Well, there's my rant for tonight.
40 hours until we are on our way to VACATION!

Remember to smile. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment