Monday, August 25, 2014

August 25, 2014

So I noticed tonight that I like to say that I have a five year old. Like, a lot.

A kid acts out at one of my jobs, parents apologize, I just smile and nod because I get it. Then I say, "I have a five year old." Then the parents smile back because they know I understand how it is.

I walked into the bathroom tonight at work and right away got a view of a baby's bottom on the changing table and it surprised me because I didn't expect anyone in there and I kind of let out a noise and his mother apologized quickly and said she was almost done.
No, ma'am. Please don't rush the job because I walk in. I understand completely how it is.
"I have a five year old."

My five year old. He starts kindergarten a week from tomorrow (which at this point in time is actually Tuesday.) I was saying at work tonight that I would probably cry. I will watch him get on the bus, cry, go work, cry, and get home in time for him to get off the bus. Then cry happy tears that he's home and ask how his first day of kindergarten went.

I'm not even ready for this.
I'm not ready for my one and only baby to start Kindergarten.
Even now, just thinking about it, I'm shaking my head.
It's so unreal.
It's hard for me to completely wrap my mind around. Like it gets half way and just stops.
Sure, I've sent him off to preschool all last school year. He's gone to daycare all day everyday for the past couple of years. I should be used to this, or at least expect to handle it greatly.
But, this is KINDERGARTEN! It's actually elementary school.
My child is in elementary school.

18 years ago, I was in his shoes.
I don't really remember a lot about my Kindergarten years. Well, all 1 1/4 years. Long story.

Every time I look at him, I am just amazed. He has grown to be such a wonderful boy. Sure, he has his moments. Everyone does.
But this is my child.
The absolute most important person in my life.
How did he get this big, this smart, this silly?
Where did the time go?!

I have a five year old. Five.

No comments:

Post a Comment