Monday, August 12, 2013

Asperger's Syndrome Introduction

Hey all!
Here is my post about Asperger's syndrome.
Asperger's Syndrome belongs to the group of disorders called pervasive developmental disorders, along with Autism. Somebody with this type of disorder may find it difficult to make friends because of social awkwardness and lack of understanding of social cues that is naturally picked up and learned by somebody who does not have a developmental disorder of any sort. Because of this, a person with Asperger's may find it also difficult to relate to anyone else.

Symptoms listed on WebMD.com about Asperger's Syndrome include the following:
-Very hard time relating to others.
-Like fixed routines.
-May not recognize verbal or non-verbal cues or understand social norms.
-May have a flat style of speech.
-May lack coordination, facial expressions, and body postures.
-May be clumsy.
-May have poor handwriting or other motor skills (such as riding a bike).
-May have one or a few interests, or may focus intensely on a few things.
-May be bothered by loud noises, lights, or strong tastes and textures.

I compared these symptoms to my sister, Gabrielle, who has actually been diagnosed by a doctor with Asperger's Syndrome.

-I do believe and see that she does have a hard time relating to others. There are certain things that she believes should be handled in a certain way. This is because that's how she feels she would handle whatever the situation is if it happened to her. She seems to have a hard time understanding there are other factors that goes in different types of situations...that others have different backgrounds than she does.

-I personally asked her if she prefers fixed routines over unstructured routines. She replied that she likes a fixed routine because it "feels...better. It's neater, I like things with neatness and organization."

-Having a hard time relating to others and not recognizing social cues or norms, to me, go hand-in-hand with each other. Gabrielle has no filter on her mouth. She will say whatever comes to her mind without thinking if it's appropriate to say or not. This has gotten her in trouble in relationships with friends and family, and with her teachers at school.

-I don't see any flat style of speech with her. Her pitch and tone do not seem the same all time...it changes. She does use some "bigger" words for simple things that kids her age normally wouldn't use...but I don't know if I would say that's because of her Asperger's.

-I had to ask her if she felt that she is clumsy because I am not around her all the time and from when I am around her...she doesn't seem to be anymore clumsy than I am. But according to her, "Actually, I am. Just ask Audrie and Zach, they could fill you all in on that!" Audrie is one of her best friends and Zach is her boyfriend who also has Asperger's Syndrome.

-Her handwriting is...very poor! Enough said. Anybody would be able to tell you this.

-I asked about her interests and focus on things. She replied, "Yes, I focus on the littlest details, and will spaz out when something's off. I have a big interest in angels and Bakura (some anime character). I draw them all the time. Oh, writing and drawing are also my fascination."

-I also had to ask about being bothered by loud noise, lights, etc. She replied, "I hate the feel of jeans, and light stroking touches on my arms and legs. I also don't like extremely bright lights, or flickering lights. Some smells I don't like, but I like peaceful smells. And I hate loud chewing and snoring and anything blaring in my ears (music doesn't count.)"

This is all I am doing for this post, since it's such a LONG one, but very informational!
Sorry for the length!
Remember to smile! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment